I haven’t been paying my attention to my blog this week mainly because my evenings have been taken up by what I have fondly named a ‘social life’. I’m not complaining, I love a social life as much as the next person but when you are desperate to dedicate a few hours a day to writing it does tend to get in the way.
At the moment I am putting pressure on myself to produce at least three flash fiction pieces a week as well as working on several short stories and a long-suffering novel. Unsurprisingly I am lacking focus and find myself starting a new story before I have finished the last one. This week I read that until you have completed a story, you are not a writer. I am not sure I agree with this but it has spurred me on regardless to introduce some structure and become a bit more productive.
My aim over the next month is to complete the following:
- Cut down the ‘on-the-go’ short stories by culling those that aren’t going anywhere
- Complete two short stories by the end of March to submit for either publication or competitions
- Write one flash fiction for blog each week
- Revisit novel and revise plot
- Experiment with crime and young adult fiction
I don’t know if this is achievable yet but I really need to focus on short stories if I want to become published this year. Lets see what happens.